Connect with us

Music

Folk Legend John Prine Hospitalized And ‘Critical’ Due To Coronavirus

Published

on

Folk Legend John Prine Hospitalized And ‘Critical’ Due To Coronavirus

On Sunday, March 29, a tweet from the Prine family on Prine’s official account reports that the singer-songwriter icon experienced “a sudden onset of COVID-19 symptoms” and was hospitalized on Thursday (March 26). He was intubated on Saturday evening (March 28) and is still receiving care.

On March 17, Fiona Prine, John Prine’s wife, announced that she had been diagnosed with the coronavirus. At the time, John Prine was tested, too, but his test came back “indeterminate;” hence, the couple immediately went into isolation, distancing themselves from each other as well as everyone else.

When she was diagnosed, Fiona Prine addressed all the Americans to follow the safety procedures laid down to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“I’m asking you to please stay at home. That’s all,” Prine said at the time. “The government can help, and I think they are really starting to really figure out that this is serious, this is life and death for God knows how many Americans. They can help, but, honestly, it is truly in our hands. It is up to us Americans to make an individual decision for our families and say, ‘You know what? This is scary as hell. I may not get a paycheck next week. I don’t know what I’m gonna do with the kids…

John Prine has had a lot of health issues and is even more susceptible to coronavirus due to his old age, 73. He was diagnosed with cancer and had a large area of diseased tissue removed from his neck in 1999, which caused a permanent alteration to the sound of his voice. Doctors also found cancer in his left lung in 2013, and it, too, was successfully removed. In February, he was forced to cancel tour dates after injuring his hip.

In their twitter statement, Prine’s family expresses, “This is hard news for us to share. But so many of you have loved and supported John over the years. We wanted to let you know, and give you the chance to send on more of that love and support now. And know that we love you, and John loves you.”

Music

System Of A Down’s Shavo Odadjian shares debut track from new band North Kingsley

Published

on

By

North Kingsley

System Of A Down’s Shavo Odadjian has shared the debut track from his new band, North Kingsley.

Alongside the bassist, songwriter and director, the group features producer Saro Paparian and lyricist and vocalist Ray Hawthorne.

North Kingsley released their first song, ‘Like That?’, earlier today (August 7). “Are you gonna die like that?” they ask on the chorus. “Fade away until you snap/Are you gonna die like that?” Watch a lyric video for the track below now.

 

The track will feature on the band’s first three-track collection, which is titled ‘Vol. 1’ and will be released next week (August 14) on Odadjian’s own 22 Red Media.

In a press release, Odadjian said: “We’re giving you songs you can marinade on, instead of 12 songs all at once. There’s going to be a clip for every song, something visually for you to vibe on. I directed videos for System, I do stage production visuals for the band so that’s important to me.

“Saro has an incredible eye for creating new things visually and I act almost how a producer would on that and we are going to drop merch with every release, so it’s more than just music.”

He continued to say that North Kingsley’s sound is “right in the middle” of metal and hip-hop. “The kick and the hi-hats and the snare sounds punk,” he added. “To me punk rock isn’t a style of music, it’s something you live. It’s a lifestyle and it means going against the grain and I heard that there, and we are putting it all together to create something exciting and new for today.”

Meanwhile, System Of A Down’s drummer John Dolmayan said in June that the band were “very unlikely to make new music”.

“There’s egos involved and, quite frankly, wisdom isn’t always something you achieve in older age – sometimes you achieve stubbornness, and we just can’t get out of our own way on that one,” he said. “But I would like to say that it is a band issue. I know that certain members of my band have been blamed in the past, but at the end of the day it takes four people to make the music we make and it takes four people not to make it.”

However, the band are planning to play live next year. This week, they were announced as one of the headliners for Download 2021 alongside Kiss and Biffy Clyro.

The post System Of A Down’s Shavo Odadjian shares debut track from new band North Kingsley appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Continue Reading

Music

Watch Bob Vylan’s strobe-heavy new video for ‘England’s Ending’

Published

on

By

Bob Vylan

Bob Vylan have shared a new video for their track ‘England’s Ending’ – scroll down the page to watch it now.

The song appears on the duo’s EP ‘We Live Here’, which was released on June 5, 2020 and follows 2019’s ‘Dread’.

In a video on Instagram, frontman Bobby Vylan explained the song was about “the privatisation of the NHS and the inaccessibility of affordable housing”, among other topics.

 

“It talks about the hustling mentality of people in this country, having to work multiple jobs just to survive, having to have side-hustles,” he explained. “Being trapped on this hamster wheel with this promise that ‘Everything’s sorted, don’t worry, everything’s going to be fine, you just stay on this hamster wheel and eventually you’ll get somewhere’ and then growing frustrated with that and being on that wheel and realising, ‘Fuck, I’m not getting anywhere’. I think so many people feel like that.”

He added: “It just seems like the country is ending. You wake up and you read the news and it just seems like, ‘Rah, England is ending’.”

The country is in dire need of a fucking spanking, mate,” Bobby Vylan says at the start of the track. “A good overhaul – get the fucking dinosaurs out.” Watch the strobe-heavy video for ‘England’s Ending’ above now.

Earlier this year, Bob Vylan said they had been told by multiple music industry figures that ‘We Live Here’ was “too extreme”. Speaking to NME, frontman Vylan explained the opposition they had faced.

“If I was to meet this much resistance doing anything else and something that wasn’t so based around social commentary, then I don’t know if I would continue,” he said. “Because I’d start to think maybe that what I’m doing is wrong.”

He continued: “We were told by one PR agency that they wouldn’t work with the song because of the track ‘Pulled Pork’. In their opinion, it encouraged violence against the police, and whether it does or does not is up to the listener.

“But they were adamant that there were only a ‘few bad apples in the force’ – but that negates the fact that the whole system is built on racism and oppression. If there are only a few bad apples, where are the good apples? If they’re stood by watching, then they’re not good apples.”

The post Watch Bob Vylan’s strobe-heavy new video for ‘England’s Ending’ appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Continue Reading

Music

Live Nation CEO says 2021 will see a “robust outdoor summer season” for live music

Published

on

By

Download Festival 2019

The CEO of Live Nation has said he expects a “robust outdoor summer season” for live music next year.

The coronavirus pandemic has forced festivals around the world to cancel their 2020 editions, with fears over their futures if they can’t safely return in 2021.

Writing in a memo shared with the promotion company’s investors, Michael Rapino said there were positive signs for next year’s summer events already. “Importantly, we remain confident that fans will return to live events when it is safe to do so,” he wrote. “Our strongest indicator of demand is that fans are holding on to their tickets, even when given the option of a refund.”

Latitude Festival
Latitude Festival (Picture: Getty / Dave J. Hogan)

The message stated that “86 percent” of fans were holding on to their tickets for shows that had been rescheduled, “demonstrating their continued desire to attend concerts in the future despite the current uncertainty”.

Rapino also pointed to the ticket sales for two UK festivals next year as further indicators of a strong 2021 festival run. “Our expectations for a robust outdoor summer season in 2021 are also reinforced by the two-thirds of fans keeping their tickets for canceled festivals so they can go to next year’s show, along with strong early ticket sales for festivals in the UK next summer,” he said. “For example, Download and Isle of Wight are pacing well ahead of last year.”

The Live Nation boss’ comments come after other industry figures have been more cautious about live music’s return. Last month (July 17), Lollapalooza co-founder Marc Geiger said he didn’t think gigs and festivals would return until 2022.

“It’s going to take that long before, what I call, the germaphobic economy is slowly killed off and replaced by the claustrophobia economy – that’s when people want to get out and go out to dinner and have their lives, go to festivals and shows,” he said.

Meanwhile, UK festivals welcomed the news last month (July 29) that the government would give the emergency funding to help weather the storm of the coronavirus pandemic.

The post Live Nation CEO says 2021 will see a “robust outdoor summer season” for live music appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017- 20 Ydraft