Connect with us

Music

Serbia’s Exit Festival will go ahead this summer

Published

on

Organisers of Serbia’s Exit Festival are “thrilled” to announce that the event will go ahead in August.

The 2020 edition of the festival, which marks its 20th anniversary, was confirmed earlier this week (May 21). Serbian prime minister Ana Brnabić recommended it be postponed from its original July dates to August instead of being cancelled “because we expect the situation in the whole of August to be totally under control by then” [via IQ].

It could be one of just a few European festivals given the green-light this year as the coronavirus pandemic continues.

Germany’s Reeperbahn festival in Hamburg is set for September 16-19 with a “pandemic-adapted” focus, while Estonia’s Tallinn Music Week will run August 26-30 thanks to the country easing restrictions. A large number of festivals have been cancelled or postponed.

Exit Festival will, however, “probably not” run at full 55,000-capacity, 40-stage format, organisers told IQ.

“The festival in its full format will probably not return until 2021,” Exit co-founder Dušan Kovačević said, “but we are delighted to hear that the health situation is becoming increasingly better and that we’ll be able to mark the 20th anniversary of Exit this summer with a meaningful and safe event.”

EXIT Festival 2015
EXIT Festival. CREDIT: Didier Messens/Redferns via Getty Images

Organisers added that they are prepared to reduce the capacity of the event and take other precautionary measures recommended by health officials. IQ reports further that there’s rumours the capacity will be half of the festival’s usual size.

“The health and safety of the audience and everyone involved at the festival is our top priority,” Kovačević added. “Between fear and optimism we always choose the latter and we’re thrilled that we will have opportunity to be together with our fans and favourite artists this summer.”

Co-founder Ivan Milivojev said that the decision is “very important” for festival and event fans across the globe.

“Even in different formats and smaller capacities, if possible and safe, events could bring back much needed relief from the hardship we have all been through.”

The news stands in contrast with other European festivals, including ones in the UK.

Isle Of Wight Festival boss and music agent John Giddings told NME said that his decision to cancel their event last month was “tragic but a no-brainer” when the gravity of COVID-19 situation emerged.

Asked if he thought that festivals might be possible with social distancing in place, Giddings replied: “No, I think it’s ludicrous. Once you give someone a couple of drinks, they’ll start having the best time with all these people. With social distancing you can only fit 15 people on a double decker bus, how is that economically viable? It’s the same for festivals.

“We pay a million pounds in policing and security for the Isle Of Wight Festival already. How would it be possible to enforce people standing two metres apart? I just can’t see it.”

The UK has recorded upwards of 36,000 deaths from coronavirus at the time of writing. Serbia has counted less than 300.

The post Serbia’s Exit Festival will go ahead this summer appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Music

Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic clarifies praise of Donald Trump in wake of George Floyd protests: “I don’t support fascism”

Published

on

By

Krist Novoselic has added to comments he made earlier this week in support of US President Donald Trump‘s recent statement regarding the ongoing George Floyd protests.

Trump said in a widely condemned press conference on Monday (June 1) that he would mobilise the US military to be deployed against protesters, and in doing so declared himself a “law and order president”.

Krist Novoselic
Krist Novoselic (Picture: Scott Dudelson/Getty Images)

Former Nirvana bassist Novoselic expressed vocal support for Trump’s comments on his Facebook page, writing: “Wow!!! I know many of you can’t stand him, however, Trump knocked it out of the park with this speech.

“Social media and television are looping images of societal breakdown. I agree, the president should not be sending troops into states – and he legally might not be able to anyway – nevertheless, his tone in this speech is strong and direct.”

Krist Novoselic Donald Trump
CREDIT: Facebook

Today (June 3) Novoselic took to his Facebook page again to clarify his earlier comments, saying that he does not support “fascism” nor “an authoritarian state”.

“As an avowed independent, I don’t endorse a major party or candidate. And it feels insane to have to say this , but I don’t support fascism, and I don’t support an authoritarian state. I believe in a civilized society and that we all have to work toward that. Love and thanks to anyone who cares to read this.”

To clarify a few things: As an avowed independent, I don’t endorse a major party or candidate. And it feels insane to…

Posted by Krist Novoselić on Wednesday, June 3, 2020

In the first post Novoselic laid out some rherotic: “Imagine if so-called “patriot militias” were raising this kind of hell? If this were the case, left-wing people would welcome federal intervention.

H econtinued: “Most Americans want peace in their communities and President Trump spoke to this desire. Never mind the legal details that few understand – Trump said he would stop the violence and this speaks to many.”

Trump’s comments have drawn strong criticism from US Democrats including California Senator Kamala Harris (who described them as “the words of a dictator”) and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who said the President’s words were “really, truly shameful”.

Novoselic was a vocal supporter of the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson during the 2016 US election, saying that he would not vote for either Trump or opposition candidate Hillary Clinton.

The post Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic clarifies praise of Donald Trump in wake of George Floyd protests: “I don’t support fascism” appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Continue Reading

Music

Nick Cave donates a pair of sparkly Gucci socks to help fan save venue from closure

Published

on

By

Nick Cave has donated a pair of sparkly Gucci socks to help a super-fan keep his grassroots music venue open during the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

Chris Perdue, who manages Trinity, a 200-capacity grassroots venue in Harrow, north London, set up a crowdfunder to keep his venue afloat after it became apparent that it wouldn’t qualify for any of the government grants available.

Known for giving artists including Kate NashChase & Status, Example, Bastille, Bombay Bicycle Club and Scouting For Girls a launchpad during their early days, the venue is currently involved in the #SaveOurVenues campaign started by the Music Venue Trust.

Perdue attends Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds gigs all over the world, and, on hearing of his venue’s plight, fellow Cave super-fans set up an online auction where they asked their fellow fans to donate rare memorabilia, signed records and fan art to help Trinity’s crowdfunder.

After reaching out to Cave himself via his Red Hand Files pages, fans were shocked when Cave personally got in touch with the group to donate a pair of his famous Gucci socks and some hand-drawn art. On a poster to which the socks are attached, Cave wrote: “This pair of sparkly socks officially belong to Nick Cave and are worth a fucking fortune.”

Nick Cave has donated a pair of socks to help save a venue in London (Picture: Press)

The auction will start tomorrow (June 4) at 8PM and will be online for a week. You can find details of the items up for sale, including the socks, via Trinity Auction House on Facebook or eBay.

All proceeds will go towards Trinity’s #SaveOurVenues crowdfunder, which you can also donate to here.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation has issued their latest advice on holding mass gatherings during the current coronavirus pandemic.

Summarising, the WHO’s advice stated that “generally, events associated with a low or very low risk of COVID-19 transmission and low strain on the health system may be considered sufficiently safe to proceed. Events with a moderate, high, or very high level of risk might not be sufficiently safe to proceed and would require a more thorough application of prevention and control measures.

“If the risk of spreading COVID-19 remains significant after application of all control measures, postponing or cancelling the planned event should be considered.”

The post Nick Cave donates a pair of sparkly Gucci socks to help fan save venue from closure appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Continue Reading

Music

Beabadoobee and Massive Attack lead additions to Primavera Sound Festival 2021 line-up

Published

on

By

Primavera

Beabadoobee and Massive Attack are among the leading additions to the growing line-up for Primavera Sound Festival 2021.

The Barcelona-held festival will return for its 20th anniversary edition between June 2-6, 2021. Its 2020 event was cancelled earlier this year due to the coronavirus outbreak.

After confirming the first 100 names on bill for Primavera 2021 — including The StrokesTame Impala and Gorillaz — last week, festival organisers have today (June 3) added over 35 more names to the line-up.

As well as Beabadoobee and Massive Attack, the likes of Mavis Staples, BICEP, PNL, Doja Cat, Kehlani, Sparks and Porridge Radio have all been confirmed to be appearing at Primavera 2021.

View this post on Instagram

New names! Tickets on sale now 🥳Link in bio

A post shared by Primavera Sound (@primavera_sound) on

Paul Heaton & Jaqui Abbott, Jeff Mills, Georgia, Squarepusher, girl in red, Tropical Fuck Storm, Kampire and Decay, Yung Beef & Pablo Chill-E, Squid, DJ Playero Kamma & Masalo and Honey Dijon will also perform.

All tickets that were purchased for Primavera Sound Barcelona 2020 will be valid for 2021, while remaining tickets for the 2021 festival went on sale today (June 3). You can find out more information about next year’s event, as well as the procedure for refunds and ticket exchanges, here.

While a number of the acts who were booked for Primavera 2020 have been confirmed for next year, Lana Del Rey is a notable absentee from the 2021 line-up. King PrincessKacey Musgraves and Brittany Howard are also missing from the 2021 bill, having all been booked to play at Primavera 2020.

The post Beabadoobee and Massive Attack lead additions to Primavera Sound Festival 2021 line-up appeared first on NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017- 20 Ydraft